Your chartplotter is out of warranty and you are looking for chartplotter repair. Below, I will provide some resources on where you could get your old plotter fix. I will also suggest some alternatives. There are good reasons to not fix that old plotter at all, since the costs are often too high to justify it.
Chartplotter repair – is it economical?
Let’s consider the best case scenario with the cheapest available options first. For example, here’s an offer for Raymarine C70 C80 C120 LCD repair at $350 plus taxes. It will cost you more to ship the unit, and this is merely the best case scenario. Be assured that if there’s something else wrong with the plotter (and often, there is), it will cost much more. The question is why would you want to spend $350-500 to fix an old dinosaur which is bound to break again soon? The internet is littered with stories of people trying to get their plotter fixed and being shocked by the quotes:
- Garmin charging $500 to repair a power pin, or $1000 to fix a screen.
- Simrad offering a minimum of $1600 to resolve a broken display issue on a 3 year old unit.
- Lowrance wanting $1125 to service a sonar not working issue.
- Humminbird charging a guy $500 to replace a broken knob.
- B&G refusing to repair a 3 year old unit but offering another refurbished one for $500.
- Raymarine… well, just see the price list below. Or how about this guy being charged $1100 to repair a screen backlight?
- Furuno apparently stands apart in offering a good service and not charging too much for repairs. Good job, Furuno!
You have got to be kidding me! Take a look below at what Raymarine officially charges for their out of warranty service. This is just insane, and I strongly suspect that in 95% of the cases it makes no financial sense to fix the old unit at all. OK, so suppose you got it fixed. Now you got an old unit which they no longer support or provide charts for. Just brilliant.
Alternative to fixing your old unit
On the other hand, you can pick up a modern and easy to use 8″ navigation tablet with full chartplotter functionality from me for $300 or 10 inch for $400. This comes with the latest 2021 marine charts for your region. It also has its own GPS antenna. The unit is super user friendly as well. In my opinion, you should not spend such money to repair a completely outdated system when you can get something better. I have personally upgraded hundreds of people from broken or dying C80 or C120 to one of my navigation laptops or tablets. Using one of these units offer various advantages over a traditional chartplotter, so take a look!
Any questions? Please contact me!
Raymarine chartplotter repair official worst case scenario costs
Wow, just wow. Need I say more? Most of of these units aren’t even worth a fraction of that. Don’t give them a cent of your money, I say. This is dark comedy.
|E02013 E120 Classic $1,725|
E02011 E80 Classic $1,000
E02022 C120 Classic $800
E02020 C80 Classic $675
E02018 C70 Classic $450
E33025 A60 $350
E33020 A65 $450
E62184 A50 $400
E62186 A50D $450
E62188 A57D $575
E62190 A70 $625
|E62192 A70D $675|
E02042 GPM400 $2,250
E62247 G120 $2,250
E62248 G150 $2,700
E02036 G170 $3,375
E02037 G190 $4,500
E62111 C90W $1,025
E62113 C120W $1,400
E62115 C140W $1,850
E62220 E90W $1,525
E62223 E120W $1,850
E62226 E140W $2,375
List of places which repair chartplotters
- Garmin chartplotter repair out of warranty in Canada: RayTech.
- Official Raymarine out of warranty repair in US, Canada, or Australia: here. Looking at the prices above, you might as well not even bother.
- Chartplotter repair in the UK with good references: The Service Centre.
- A seller with good feedback on eBay offers reasonably priced service for Garmin GPSmap 196 176 176C at $125, Garmin GPSmap 296 396 496 495 at $195, and Garmin GPSmap 276C 376C 278 378 478 at $145. The downside is that you have to ship the unit to Russia. This could take months. Keep in mind, that it may end up costing much more.
- Lowrance chartplotter out of warranty service available in Texas from these guys.
Why use a navigation laptop or tablet instead of fixing your chartplotter?
My navigation laptop or tablet systems can be much more affordable than Garmin, Lowrance, Simrad, B&G, Furuno, Hummingbird, Raymarine, Si-Tex. I will also support my units forever! Furthermore, I believe that some of the commercial chart plotter brands gouge their customers. Large companies force their clients to upgrade by no longer supporting older units with chart and software updates. In addition, they charge outrageous fees for simple things like a larger screen size. I don’t do any of these things, and never will – guaranteed! In addition to these, please take a look at other advantages as well.